Frequently Asked Questions
What are your most needed items?
Clothing (size prem – 1 year)
- Knitted cardigans, jackets, vests
- Hats and beanies
- Booties and socks
- All in ones/stretch & grows
- Long & short sleeved bodysuits/onesies
- Tops (short and long sleeved)
Blankets and bedding
- Blankets (wool, cotton or natural fibres)
- Baby sleeping bags
- Bassinet and cot sheets
- Baby towels
- Disposable newborn and infant size nappies
- Baby toys (wooden or plastic are preferred)
- Books (hardcover and softcover)
- Breast pumps
- Burp cloths
- Wool or natural fibre yarn or fabrics for our crafters
- Baby baths
- Gifts for mums
Where can I drop off my donation?
Search for your drop off donation here.
Can we post or courier donations?
Of course! Contact us here and we’ll let you know the best place to post or courier to.
How do I suggest or become a collection point?
We’d love to hear from you and chat about what’s involved. Please contact us!
What donations do you accept?
We love new, preloved and crafted items of baby and children’s essentials. Our greatest need is generally books, baby clothing (prem to size 1), blankets, bedding and nappies. We also collect wool and fabric (natural fibres) for our crafters “The Nest Makers“. For a list of the few items that we cannot accept please click here.
I have clothing larger than 1 year old - do you want this?
We often have requests for larger children’s sizes. Please contact your nearest branch and our volunteers can let you know if it’s required at this time.
What do you include in your packs?
I have knitwear, but it isn’t pure wool, is this OK?
Yes, but please note that we can only give acrylic knitting to babies over 6 months of age as an outer layer.
Do you collect clothing and bedding that isn’t pure wool, merino or cotton?
Yes we do. We cannot give polar fleece blankets to young babies but we can turn small blankets into our famous playmats, and larger blankets can be given to older children.
Do I need to pre-wash the clothing and bedding before donating?
We do prefer this but if not, we have volunteers who will wash your donation. If you are unable to wash them please just check to see they are free from obvious stains and dirt.
Do you accept second hand bassinets, moses baskets and cots?
Yes, we do! We love donations of clean, mould-free safe sleeping spaces. Cots need to comply with NZ safety standards.
I know someone in need. How do they request help?
All our items are gifted via social workers, midwives, nurses and a number of charity partners. We recommend families speak with their midwife or a social worker. Alternatively, please contact the branch in their area here – our volunteers can put them in touch with someone near by.
Can I donate money?
Yes! All the details are here.
How can I get involved?
There are so many ways to help us!
- We love donations of items or money.
- You could become one of our crafters – find out more about “The Nest Makers” here.
- We are always excited to have new volunteers and have a range of roles both big and small. You could collect items for us, help us sort and pack items, do some washing or help us with administration. Find out more here.